Friday, September 21, 2007

Observation for week 4

Date observed:

9-21-07

Date entered here:

9-21-07

Context (choose one):

pair

Activity:

Argument on braiding my hair.

Observation:

The person that was supposed to do my hair today suddenly decided that she wanted to take a nap before she went to work. Suggesting that I come back tomorrow and get it done. So we began to argue over the topic and noticed the types of appeals she was using. She first made that statement that she was tired and that I should come back tomorrow. I countered that, and she had no comeback to my rebuttal of her reason. Then she stated that I should sympathize with her because she had had a long night. I immediately recognized this as the pathos in her argument. I countered that with the statement that she should sympathize with me because she suggested that I come over today; my attempt to appeal to her emotions. I then stated the logos and ethos of my argument, that she should uphold her obligations and be a person of her word. As you will see, I came out the victor of the argument because I am now on my way to get my hair done!


Teacher’s comments:

1 comment:

Jayemel said...

Ah, not only did you realize what types of appeals she was using (emotional), but you realized what type of arguer she was. You then used her own tactics against her and when you had her attention went one step further than her. Now you see how important it is to know your audience.